Did you know…?
– 1 in 13 Americans has diabetes,
– 1 in 4 Americans has prediabetes (wow!),
– Diabetes is a major cause of heart disease and stroke, and
– Diabetes is the 7th leading cause of death in the US.
What is Prediabetes?
Prediabetes is when your blood glucose, or blood sugar, is higher than normal, but not high enough to be called diabetes. Studies show that by losing weight and being more physically active you can delay or even prevent prediabetes from becoming diabetes.
I have prediabetes… What can I do to make sure I’m healthy?
– Lose weight – 10 to 15 pounds can make a difference!
– Decrease high fat and high sugar foods and beverages,
– Increase healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean protein,
– Check with your doctor about increasing your physical activity, and
– Learn more about prediabetes by visiting the St. Mary’s Online Wellness Center , the American Diabetes Association website, or MedlinePlus.
If you need help with meal planning for prediabetes, ask your doctor for a referral to see a St. Mary’s Outpatient Nutrition Service dietitian. St. Mary’s health insurance covers three visits per year. Other insurance coverage varies. Call the customer service number on your insurance card to see if your insurance covers outpatient nutrition.